Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Clerk of Court
Civil - Common Pleas
Appeals from Lower Courts/Agencies To The Circuit Court

The Circuit Court has jurisdiction to hear appeals from a variety of lower courts and governmental agencies, including, but not limited to the following: the Magistrate Court, Municipal Court, City Recorders, the Workers Compensation Commission, and the Employment Security Commission.

In most cases, the appellant, or appealing party has 30 days after the written notice of a ruling to serve and file a written notice of appeal. Criminal appeals must be filed with the Magistrate within 10 days. The Notice of Appeal, which must state the specific legal grounds upon which the appeal is founded, must be served on the court or agency that issued the ruling and the opposing parties. The original notice must be filed with the Clerk of Court. The filing fee for civil appeals to the Circuit Court is one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00). When filing in person, the filing fee may be paid using cash, money order, cashier’s check, debit card or credit card. When filing by mail, the filing fee may be paid only by money order or cashier’s check. Please make money orders and cashier’s checks payable to the Greenville County Clerk of Court. Please note that the Clerk of Court’s Office does not accept personal checks as payment for filing fees. Criminal appeals should be filed at the Magistrates office, and will be forwarded to the Clerk of Court’s office along with the return.

After an appeal has been placed on the presiding Circuit Court judge’s court docket the Clerk of Court will notify the respective parties as to the date and time of the hearing.

Unlike the Magistrate or Municipal Court, the Circuit Court is a court of formal record. Although individuals are entitled to represent themselves in an appeal it is advisable to retain the services of an attorney. Laws relating to ethics prevent judges and the Clerk of Court’s staff from giving any legal advice.

The laws and rules pertaining to matters heard by the Circuit Court may be researched in the Greenville County Main Library or the Greenville Technical College Library (Barton Campus).