Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Code Compliance
Building Safety

Greenville County Building Safety and Code Enforcement has transitioned to a new automated software system. All permits must be submitted through eTrakit. Approved permits will be processed and emailed within three business days. At this time, we have a five day processing period for permits to be issued. We thank you for your patience as we transition to this new online system and continue to get caught up. For instructions to apply for an online account and access to permit applications click here.

For instructions to apply for an online account and access to permit applications click here.

Building Permitting

The Permit Center accepts and processes building permit applications for both residential and commercial projects.

Permitting Forms and Applications
    Click here for a list of permitting forms and applications.
Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the county require building permits for various projects?

Building permits are required to ensure that the construction meets the requirement of all state, city and fire prevention codes. Inspections are completed on all permits issued to ensure the safety and welfare of the citizens of Greenville County.

What type of work requires a permit?

Any new construction, addition or alteration of existing residential or commercial structures, structural changes, commercial tenants, construction trailer, tents, kiosk (sales, fireworks, Christmas trees) swimming pools, shed, signage, manufactured home, plumbing; public or private sewage, and all electrical, gas or HVAC work require a permit. Additional items may require a permit which are not mentioned here. Contact the Planning and Codes Compliance Department at 864.467.7060 if you have any questions.

When is a permit required?

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the International Codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

How do I apply for a permit?

All permit applications require either the tax map number or an active permit number for the site. Click here to search for a tax map number.

What happens to my application after submission?

The Permit Technician will review the application for floodplain, road frontage and setbacks, as well as accuracy and completeness. Deed restrictions/covenants and subdivision regulations will be the responsibility of the customer/owner. If all criteria are met, the application is entered into the system and depending upon the type of application and the method of submission will determine the review and process time.

Who can submit the permit application?

If a contractor is doing the work, the application must be submitted, signed and picked up by the contractor (SC license holder). If the owner is doing the work, the application must be submitted, signed and picked up by the owner. All residential rental properties require work to be completed by a South Carolina licensed contractor. A letter of authorization is required from the applicant for anybody picking up the permit other than the applicant.

What licenses are required for those who apply for a permit?

A South Carolina State Licensed Contractor will need a copy of the State Certification (pocket card), consistent with the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations. A South Carolina State Specialty Contractor will need a Copy of State Registration (pocket card). Click here to search for State Licensed Contactors.

Can I receive a permit as an owner/builder?

Yes, if all of the following apply:

  • Applicant is the owner
  • Ownership is by the individual
  • Use is specifically by the owner
  • Property is not for sale or lease or is used as a rental
  • (Commercial only) construction value is less than $5000 (total cost of project: building, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing).
  • And, a notarized, recorded Owner Builder Disclosure Statement must be submitted.

How do I file for an extension?

You can file for an extension by submitting the Request For Permit Extension form. Our staff will review your request and contact you as soon as possible.

How do I apply for a manufactured home permit?

An administrative review is required in the Planning & Codes Compliance office Suite S-3100 prior to registration . A review to include but not limited to:

  • Zoning
  • Floodplain
  • E911 assigned address
  • Letter of permission
  • Authorization for connection to a sewer system, or approval document from SCDHEC

Once the administrative review is complete and the form is provided, the mobile home must be registered in the Mobile Home Office in Suite S-3100. A review form with complete signatures must be provided to the Mobile Home Office. The owner must provide a Form 400 and a bill of sale OR a title with the owner's names.

How do I locate my property and tax map number?

Greenville County Real Property Search

What is required to have a Home Occupation (Business) in my residence?

All Home Occupation Permits must be submitted and reviewed prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Use.

What is required to occupy an existing commercial building or tenant space?

Anyone who wishes to occupy an existing building without making any changes to the building is required to submit a Feasibility Permit. If the building currently is without power, a Commercial Electrical Permit application is also required. Once the Administrative Zoning Review is approved, the Building Official will perform an Administrative Building Review. The Feasibility Inspector will then contact the tenant to make arrangements for the required inspections. A Certificate of Occupancy will be issued once all inspections have been approved.

What are the current codes enforced in the county?

Click here to access the Current ICC Code List