Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Voter Registration
Photo ID Requirements

Beginning January 1, 2013 you will be asked to show one of the following Photo IDs at your polling place:

  • S.C. Driver’s License
  • ID Card issued by S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
  • S.C. Voter Registration Card with Photo
  • Federal Military ID
  • U.S. Passport
How to get a Photo ID:

If you do not currently have one of the Photo IDs above, you can make your voting experience as fast and easy as possible by getting one free of charge:

  • Registered voters can get a voter registration card with a photo from the Greenville County Registration & Elections Commission during normal office hours by simply providing your name, date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Click here to learn how to register to vote.
  • Get a DMV ID card at a local DMV office. Check with your local DMV or for required documents.
Photo ID Requirements
If You Do Not Have a Photo ID on Election Day:

If you have a Reasonable Impediment to obtaining Photo ID, you may vote a paper provisional ballot after showing your non-photo voter registration card. A reasonable impediment is any valid reason, beyond your control, which created an obstacle to obtaining Photo ID. Some examples include:

  • Religious Objection to Being Photographed
  • Disability or Illness
  • Work Schedule
  • Lack of Transportation
  • Lack of Birth Certificate
  • Family Responsibilities
  • Election Within Short Time Frame of Implementation of Photo ID Law (January 1, 2013)
  • Any Other Obstacle You Find Reasonable
To vote under the reasonable impediment exception:
  1. Present your current, non-photo registration card at the polling place
  2. Sign an affidavit stating why you could not obtain a Photo ID
  3. Cast a provisional ballot that will be counted unless the Greenville County Registration & Elections Commission has reason to believe your affidavit is false.

If you Do NOT have a Photo ID and Do NOT have a reasonable impediment to obtaining one, or you simply forgot to bring it with you to the polls, you may still vote a paper provisional ballot. However, for your vote to be counted, you must provide one of the Photo IDs to the Greenville County Registration & Elections Commission prior to certification of the election (usually Thursday or Friday after the election).