Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Vehicle FAQ's
How do you determine what my motor vehicle is worth?

The S.C Department of Revenue (SCDOR) determines the value of motor vehicles by using a set of nationally accepted standards and guidelines established by the auto industry. County Auditors use the SCDOR Motor Vehicle Values Guide to establish the fair market value of vehicles for tax purposes. The guide lists each model and make of all available motor vehicles.

How much can I expect to pay in vehicle property taxes?

For an estimated property tax total for your vehicle, please see how to estimate vehicle property tax.

What is the assessment ratio on motor vehicles in South Carolina?

The assessment ratio is 6% for personal automobiles and personal light trucks (gross vehicle weight of 11,000 lbs. or less and a net vehicle weight of 9,000 lbs. or less). All other motor vehicles are assessed at 10.5%.

When are vehicle taxes due?

Personal property taxes on motor vehicles and recreational vehicles must be paid before a license plate can be issued or renewed. Taxes are due in the month corresponding to a vehicle registration date. This date is displayed on the tag decal.

If a South Carolina auto dealership processes the license plate registration for you, the taxes will be due 120 days after the plate is first issued.

When I bought my car, the dealership told me they would take care of the taxes and tags. Why did you send me a tax bill?

The dealership was referring to the State sales tax and the license plate registration fees. The bill you received from the County Auditor is for the County personal property tax due on the vehicle. There are two taxes for vehicle purchases in South Carolina: State sales tax and County property tax. State sales tax is a one-time tax paid through a dealership or directly to the SCDMV at time of registration. Property tax is paid to the County annually and is based on the fair market retail value of the vehicle.

I received a tax bill on a motor vehicle that I have sold. What do I need to do?

If the bill you received is a 120 day/dealer first-time bill, please contact the Auditor’s Office so that we can adjust the amount appropriately.

If it is a renewal bill for a vehicle you no longer own and you did not transfer the license plate, you may disregard the tax bill. If you transferred your license plate to a different vehicle, please contact the Auditor’s Office immediately. Taxes are due on your new vehicle by the plate expiration date.

If I want to transfer my license plate to a replacement vehicle, what do I need to do?

Take the registration for your previous vehicle and the Bill of Sale for your replacement vehicle to the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles and register your replacement vehicle. You will not need to pay taxes on the replacement vehicle until the registration on your previous one expires.

How do I get a high-mileage discount

If the mileage on your vehicle qualifies it as a high mileage vehicle, you may be eligible for a reduction on your vehicle property tax bill. You can find more information on high mileage appeals here.

If I move out of this state or sell my vehicle, what should I do with my South Carolina license plate?

If you move out of state or sell your vehicle before the tag decal expires, you may be eligible for a partial refund for the unexpired period.

You can find more information on vehicle tax refunds here.

What do I need to do if my address changes?

The SCDMV is the repository for vehicle registration information including addresses. The Auditor’s Office relies on SCDMV to determine in which taxing district you are located and where to mail your tax bill. Visit the SCDMV website for information on how to change your address.

If you have received a renewal notice and do not live in Greenville County, you should also contact the Auditor's Office by calling 864.467.7040.

How do I receive my renewal sticker for my vehicle?

If you pay your vehicle taxes on time, you will receive your registration renewal sticker in the mail (usually within 10 days of payment). Please make sure that your address is correct and that your insurance certification is provided when required. The registration renewal fee charged by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) appears on your tax bill every other year. If you pay your vehicle taxes after the expiration of your license tag, you will need to go to a local DMV office to show your paid tax receipt. A new sticker will be issued to you then in person. If this occurs in a year when you were charged a renewal fee on your tax bill, the DMV will charge you a late renewal fee at that time.