Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
How to Apply for a Refund

If you dispose of a vehicle or move out of state before the tag decal expires, you may be eligible for a partial refund for the unexpired period.

Note: transferring an active tag to another vehicle does not qualify for a partial refund since any remaining period on the transferred tag applies to the second vehicle.

In order to process a refund, the Auditor’s Office must have the following two documents:

  1. Proof the tag has been cancelled.
    1. To cancel your plate, please visit the SCDMV.
    2. Request a tag return receipt.
  2. Proof you no longer own vehicle.
    1. If the vehicle was sold, we need a Bill of Sale.
    2. If the vehicle has been moved out of state, we need a copy of the new registration.
    3. If the vehicle was wrecked, we need the insurance letter or a copy of the police report.
    4. If the vehicle was stolen, we need a copy of the police report.

In lieu of a bill of sale, out of state registration, or insurance letter, we will also accept a completed Vehicle Disposal Form. Our office cannot accept a disposal form for a vehicle reported stolen. Both documents should be sent to the Auditor’s office for processing:

  1. In person or Mail:
    Greenville County Auditor
    301 University Ridge Suite 800
    Greenville, SC 29601
  2. Fax: 864.467.5960
  3. Email:

Tax Collector will mail a check once refund has been processed.