Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are deputy coroners police officers?
No. Deputy Coroners are law enforcement officers who conduct a concurrent investigation to determine the manner of death.

Where can I obtain a copy of a death certificate?
You can obtain a death certificate from the Vital Records office in Greenville. Phone number: 864.282.4255

How long does it take to receive toxicology results?
It takes about 6 to 8 weeks.

What types of deaths require the coroner's office involvement?
a. Natural deaths at home without hospice
b. Natural deaths with less than 24 hour admission into the hospital
c. Any deaths believed to be of unnatural causes
i. Homicide
ii. Suicide
iii. Accidental
iv. Undetermined

What do I do when a loved one dies at home?
Call 9-1-1 and let the responding agency determine if a coroner is necessary.

Does the coroner’s office take personal property?
a. If the decedent is transported to the Greenville County morgue by order of the coroner’s office, then any property on the decedent will be taken into possession by the Greenville County Coroner’s office.
b. The property can be released to the next of kin at the coroner’s office.
c. State issued identification is retained by the Greenville County Coroner’s office and will be kept as part of the case file.

How do I donate tissues and organs?
Contact Lifepoint 1.800.269.9777