Greenville County
i.e. "Pay my taxes", "Parks & Recreation", "Marriage Licenses", etc.
Frequently Asked Questions

Greenville County now allows the taxpayers to elect (opt-in) to receive their tax bills via electronic form.

To opt-in, you will need the six character alpha numeric User ID on your tax bill.

Please click below.

 e-Bill Subscription

You may opt-out anytime and go back to receiving a paper bill.

What methods of payment do you accept?

If paying in person, you may pay using cash, U.S. Postal money order, credit or debit card, and checks. When paying through the mail, we accept U.S. Postal money orders and checks (including electronically prepared checks). You may also make payment through the internet using either an electronic check, debit or credit card.

What credit or debit cards do you accept?

We accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover cards.

When are taxes due?

Real property taxes and personal property taxes, other than auto taxes, are due without penalty by January 15. Late payment penalties are added as follows: 3% on January 16, an additional 7% on February 2, and an additional 5% plus $15.00 execution cost on March 17.

Vehicle taxes are due by the end of the month in which the vehicle tag expires. Taxes on vehicles purchased from a dealer and for which the dealer secured the tag, are due 120 days after the purchase. Vehicle taxes are paid in advance and all other taxes are paid in arrears. (This allows for refunds of taxes on vehicles which are sold and the tag returned to either the County Auditor or Division of Motor Vehicles. Contact the County Auditor's office for information concerning refunds on vehicle taxes.)

Where do I pay property taxes?

Taxes are payable at the Greenville County Tax Collector's Office, Suite 700, County Square, (864.467.7050), or by mail to address on notice.

How long does it take to process a payment?

Most payments are posted to accounts within 3 to 5 business days after receipt. During periods when large volumes of tax payments are due, it could take longer.

Can I send one check to pay for multiple accounts?

Yes, you can but it will take longer to process because each account must be posted separately.

How can I ensure that you have received my mailed payment?

Our office will send you a paid tax receipt after we have processed your payment. You may also want to send your payment by certified mail or a courier if you require verification of receipt.

I overpaid my tax bill; can I get my money back?

Refunds for overpayments are sent within 30-days after receipt and verification.

I did not receive a tax bill on my property; can I have the penalties taken off?

The only time you can request that the Tax Collector remove a penalty is when there is direct evidence that there has been an error on the part of the county.

Why am I responsible to pay taxes on "Real" property I just bought?

The tax on a property follows the property not an individual. It is advised strongly that you check to see if there are any taxes due or land or mobile home before purchasing so you and the buyer can determine who will pay taxes. Taxes are not prorated on Mobile Homes.

Is there an appeal process for taxes?

Yes. Contact the Real Property Services Division at Greenville County Square, Suite 1000 (or call 864.467.7300) for the forms to appeal the assessed valuation of the property. Questions concerning the County's tax levies may be addressed to the Tax Collector's Office at 864.467.7050.

What are deferred taxes?

Deferred taxes, or rollback taxes, accrue when real property is taxed based on agricultural use. When the use of the property changes these taxes, accumulative for a five year period, become due. Deferred taxes are calculated on the difference between what would have been paid if the property were not taxed on agricultural use, and the amount of taxes paid based on agricultural use.

What is the process for obtaining a tax bill on my car?

You need to contact the Auditor’s Office at 864.467.7040 for specific information. Generally, you provide proof of residency in the form of a driver’s license, utility bill, or rental agreement so that you will be taxed in the proper district. Provide proof that you own the vehicle, such as a bill of sale, previous vehicle registration, or title information. The Auditor will prepare a tax bill for you.

My vehicle tax payment was late; How do I pay the late fee to receive my tag decal?

If you are making a motorcycle or automobile payment after the due date, you may be charged a late fee by the SC DMV, and your renewal decal will not be mailed to you until it is paid. We do not collect this late fee for the DMV. If you have received a paid tax receipt from this office and have not received your decal, please contact your local DMV office regarding your renewal decal.

I received and/or paid a bill for a car or boat that I no longer own, how do I correct this situation?

Please contact the County Auditor for assistance.